Saturday, October 13, 2007

Seven

I just saw the movie Seven with Karl and a couple other people. I would like to point out the fact that though most of the people who watched it did so because Karl decided to watch a movie, Karl left before it started and didn't come back. Ha. Ironical world.

Seven was pretty disturbing. I had never seen it before. Through a fog of disturbtion that hasn't quiet settled yet, I think I think it was a good movie. The killer pointed out that people treat horrible things as normal or innocent when they are apathetic and cease to care what's good and what's not. This plus the fact that the old cop had spent the whole film wondering whether he should give into the apathy of the general public and (apathetically) quite his work (this being the 'bad' option). It makes me think that the film makers were in some sense agreeing with the killer. And even agreeing with his method (disgusting murders aside); they did what he was trying to do. They made a shocking spectacle that, possible, would make you reassess your normal life.

The mind boggling twist is that the young cop, the only person other than the killer who is firmly against evil, turns out to be one of the sins as well. And in a way, this is true to life. No matter how good anyone tries to be, they are going to wind up committing vileness. It's the warp and woof of our natures.

The main thing that makes me dislike this movie is that it's world is limited to these select truths. The world is a twisted screwed up place, all people have sin, and apathy is wrong, all that I can agree with, but there's more to life than that. There is a way out of sin and out of the corruption we exhale that is more than burying your head in the sand.

I read the Brothers K this summer and got obsessed with it, so I'm going to throw a quote at the problem without explaining myself anymore.

"'You take too many sins upon yourself' mother used to weep. 'Dear mother, my joy, I am weeping from gladness not from grief; I want to be guilty before them, only I cannot explain it to you, for I do not even know how to love them. Let me be sinful before everyone, but so that everyone will forgive me, and that is paradise. Am I not in paradise now?'"

So maybe I think this isn't a good movie? hm. It could be applauded for getting the situation right, but it also implies that there is no solution, which I don't think is true. Which is worse? Telling an outright lie, or telling a misleading truth?

Good or bad, I know this is not a movie I would watch for fun. Or again, anytime soon.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

Hey, that's Zosima's brother speaking before he died, isn't it? Good book. Interesting movie. I'm glad I know who you are now, and I'm really glad you're blogging. I was just going to send you a message asking how you're doing. By the way, how is your job?

twig said...

I kind of made the blog during a technology inept quest to find yours, but it's fun to have. I am doing well- slowly relaxing into the idea that nothing horrible has to happen this year (though it always might).

The job is nice! I like it. The house is a LOT calmer this year. The other two RA's (Dee and Sam) and I are all rather competitive, so we have to mutually restrain ourselves from killing ourselves by going overboard. Its pretty funny, actually!

It did take a while to get used to not seeing you at the White House.