Sunday, November 18, 2007

Empty Weekend

Yesterday Chelsea said something about the weather that was rang true. "I like the rain- its the constant cloud cover that gets to me" Isn't that the truth!

And in life too I guess. I could take disasters with definite limits a lot better than I can take this continual gnawing void. Now maybe I should be glad that I'm not having both!

Yesterday (and yes, this is where the title came from) was one of those days when every one disappears to study and the house hums with the lack of people. Maybe it's just growing up in a house with millions of kids, but large empty houses nerve me out. On top of this, on Friday, Josh officially dropped out of school and Karl got fired. Karl had apparently been planning to quite anyway, so its not objectively that bad, but its depressing. And now he's gone to Washington. And Josh... I guess... I guess. So close to the end. It seems such a waste.

I don't know if I'm justified, but I really feel like the muddy and tired surviver of some war. What's left is so little- the grand hopes we started out with, dispensed with one by one in our disasters. What's left? Only a handful of people, too scattered and involved in their own lives to even say goodbye to each other. I guess we are setting out into the real world. But if this is it's harbinger, the thought doesn't comfort me.

4 comments:

teal! said...

um. whoa.
i like how i'm finding out about both of these things here.

take courage, dear one, be strong in heart. do not despair.

deanna said...

You twenty, in your cute photograph when you launched into this journey (battle zone?). I glimpse that sometimes and sigh. And yet, I can't help thinking this is how poets are birthed. And how wisdom is discovered, wrested from the whomping tree of life.

Oh, dear, Twig, you've inspired me to try art, and it's not working.

You, though, keep it up.

Valerie said...

I know it's hard to believe sometimes, but spring does come again every year. Take it from someone who has lived for many years under the greyness; this too shall pass. If I were there I'd give you a hug right now.

twig said...

Thankyou. Thankyou very much.