Saturday, May 31, 2008

Observation worthy of note- not that the others weren't.

Katie my classmate and Katie my house mate both had birthdays today. My soccer team had a game, and Mckenz-he had a show at Jo Fed's. (I missed it. And he sang Shipwrecked too!) Also Ann had a breakfast for the graduating girls this morning- which was artful and tasteful in every way. Also I found out that another of the freshmen is engaged. Further I heard in a round about way that I had got an overdraft fee for reasons not immediately intelligible, which was a little frightening (this, fortunately, was later sorted out).

So there was much rush to and from various places today, in additions to many many things to think about. But I will tell you what I saw.

There is a bridge over the Willamette where the river opens up suddenly as you bike over it. Suddenly, where you were moving through a city, you find yourself on the brink of a smooth floor, water flat and glassy and gray as the clouds it mirrors. Its fenced in only by trees and and the guard rail, but it is fenced of from the city none the less. In the center, standing among rocks was the most immense bird. A heron.? It stared up at the bridge, and I realized that it was bothered by me. The thousands of cars that were going by it was used to. Being watched? That was another story.

Eventually, I did the polite thing and left.

1 comment:

teal! said...

sounds like quite a lovely and busy day.
(another freshman? i am so behind on the news. who all is engaged?)